Friday, May 8, 2009

Eldorado Canyon State Park


I stopped at Eldorado Canyon State Park for lunch today for the easy lifer, Broad-tailed Hummingbird. They are common sites at higher elevations, and even going the couple of hundred feet up into the canyon made them likely targets.

In addition to seeing them at the Visitor Center feeder I also had them perching up above on the telephone wires headed up the canyon. They are so small and active that getting sharp shots of them in natural perches will be challenging. What I am going to need is a mountain cabin with shaded deck, a comfy chair and some cool beverages, I think I may enjoy that challenge sometime this summer.


It was so nice to be up in the canyon today. The sun was shining and the rocks and dirt had that; hot day, summery smell. It is the smell of hiking out of the forest and onto a dusty meadow trail up close to treeline, bliss.
**Update: Golden-mantled Ground Squirrel**
It took all of my self control to return to the office, but I did, and will enjoy my weekend so much more for still being employed.
On an unrelated note the two species above are thwarting my efforts to identify them online, if you can ID one or the other - specifically - please let me know.
2009 Count: 129
Lifetime: 144

No comments:

Post a Comment