Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A day for a walk - finally


I have been eager to get back outside during a workday, but weather, and the addmittedly more important work has been keeping me indoors. When it was finally sunny today I was excited to get a chance to be outdoors in the middle of the day.
Of course this close to the solstice midday light for photography is particularly brutal. Still the Northern flicker above exploded in a red ball off his perch as I was getting a few frames. I just love when they do that. It reminds me of the first time I saw and ID'd a Flicker last fall. It was dusk and watching a brownish shape on a dirt field suddenly explode into color as it took flight through bins really caught my attention.
The birding today was particularly common, and with all the recent rain the vegetation is thick - making spotting birds in the heat of the day unlikely. I did get to watch two Red-tailed Hawks hunting over the prairie dog towns.


This was the one shot where an eye caught enough light to not be a dark cavity on the head. Hopefully some better light and timing this evening or tomorrow morning. Until then - keep your eyes on the skies!

No comments:

Post a Comment