Friday, May 28, 2010

The Return of the King...

The Western Kingbird of course.


Yesterday morning I got a bit of an early start, just enough time to stop off at Stearn's Lake on my way to work. The one above was actually seen in the afternoon at lunch, but they were certainly back, and engaged in all kinds of territorial and pre-nesting activities.

The award for the most photogenic birds of the morning has to go to the Vesper Sparrows I saw as I left the lake area and headed to work. They put my shots of the morning Kingbirds to shame.


Birds like these are the reason I always leave any morning birding stops with a large cushion of time before I have to be to work. You never know when you will have to stop and shoot a hundred frames or so.


A Vesper Sparrow has plenty to sing about on a late spring morning. I was glad to hear their song, a good way to start the day.


I wonder if the cow hair left on the barbs from a good scratching is alluring to a female Vesper Sparrow? This bird sure was advertising it to the world.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, those Sparrow shots are superb! I love sparrows anyway.

    ReplyDelete