Friday, August 27, 2010

RMNP Trail Ridge Road Mammals - August 6th


Yellow-bellied Marmot


There was a whole family living under the back side of the Alpine Visitor Center. I had worked my way around to scan the snowfields and a few of them would brave the rock ledge just below my feet.


Elk


There were a group of four bull Elk just off the side of old Fall River Road. I had been looking uphill at some Pine Siskins when this fellow appeared from behind the ridge grazing his way towards me.


Elk


Always memorable in the early light.


Yellow-bellied Marmot


This little guy and a few of his kin were working hard cleaning the pad where the dumpster sat.


Moose


Finally, I have been trying for a photo of a Moose for as long as I have been taking pictures of nature. I have seen Moose, and I have taken many pictures, but until I saw a group of three bulls just off the side of the road outside Grand Lake I hadn't been able to combine the two.


Moose


A good karma story. No more than 20 minutes before I had been driving along the Colorado River headwaters, and had pulled aside when I saw stopped traffic, - a sure sign of Moose. Here comes a guy with a fully extended tripod around the back of his vehicle, as a cow Moose went past the front. The guy then closed on her in the middle of the road, leaving the somewhat blind of his vehicle and I guess trying to get even closer than the few dozen feet of range he was already at. Fortunately he only chased the cow into the woods - never getting his own shot and ruining the moment for the rest of us - not to mention disturbing the Moose in her environment. Had she had a calf following her from where she had come he might have placed himself between them, and been in a real bad spot. I choked back some rage knowing that I at least respected the animal I had missed a shot of, and consoled myself with the hope that I would be rewarded in due course.
Talk about immediate gratification. Three bulls, who were doing there own thing, and not disturbed by my unobtrusive presence. I got to see their faces, (although obstructed), and he hopefully only got a blurry shot of a fleeing backside.


Moose


Again, if you have Moose in your area, or visit one that does, enjoy - but do not approach. They are massive, and while generally docile may decide to hold their ground rather than moving away as you approach.


Elk


Last shot, this Elk was at Windy Gap Reservoir. Windy Gap is a wonderful bird trap just outside Grandby, Colorado; featuring more waterfowl in one place than I had possibly seen in the previous month. Unfortunately, I was looking south at mid-day, and got a bunch of horrible shots from distance. Had it not been for this Elk I would have been disappointed, but it dashed out onto a mudflat, obviously under attack by many biting insects. As it went it couldn't resist scattering Pelicans and Cormorants that were perched along the edge, before plunging into the water itself. It swam to an island and had a good 'stick-your-tongue-out' shake before settling back in to graze. Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment