Thursday, April 30, 2009

1st Post Trip Update (DeSoto NWR Visitor Center Trail)


Wow - what a trip! My family visit to Orange City, Iowa, (the reason for going) was great and so were the birds. I have so many pictures that it is going to take some time to get through them, and in the meantime there are more migrants in Colorado, so here is one tiny sample from one of three sets at the DeSoto National Wildlife Refuge. By the way I saw DeSoto NWR on my AAA map while I was driving south on US 75 in eastern Nebraska, I had no idea about it, and decided that I would break up my day's drive to Grand Island by stopping there around lunch. I spent 5 hours and took over 5 Gb of pictures there while birdwatching in two states. The highlight of which was the Barred Owl above.
I had no idea about Barred Owls, and happened to spot this one just after I had thought..."Hmm haven't seen a Great Horned in a while." If only that though would work this well every time. Just one of many lifers on the trip, and I still have three substantial counts to submit to update my tally.

I'm not even sure if this is my best Brown Thrasher picture, but they were a FOY for me.


I had a lifer Harris Sparrow the night before on a cold and windy walk in Orange City. More on the hunt in scrub brush to find them later - but the next day these two were just out and about in front of a picnic table right next to my car.


Not the best of pics, but the colors of the White-Throated Sparrow stand out so well, even in a blurred flight shot.


Then there were Cedar Waxwings all over a flowering apple tree just above the Harris Sparrows next to my car, I mean really I have been spoiled.
More picture updates to follow, but for now:
2009 Count: 112
Lifetime: 129

No comments:

Post a Comment