Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Baird's Sandpiper


Last Wednesday I had tried to stop by Lower Church Lake, but strengthening rain chased me off, the poor light and water kept me from being able to make out much of anything out on the water.


The following afternoon I was back, and in addition to getting my first looks at the Wilson's Phalarope pair I also had these two shorebirds mixed in with the many Killdeer.


It took a lot of comparing the fieldmarks I could see with descriptions and images, but I finally was able to identify these birds as Baird's Sandpipers.


I returned the following evening in hopes of getting better shots, but these two had departed. Instead I had to be consoled with Phalaropes, but that was a previous, and perhaps another post!

2011 Count: 221
Lifetime: 290

No comments:

Post a Comment