Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Red Rocks Trading Post - Leftovers


While I was waiting on the Golden-crowned Sparrow to make his appearance on Saturday I was treated to good views of a number of different species. They were all coming to make use of the feeders and water features arranged off the back of the building.

There were dozens of Juncos, and a good number of Chickadees and House Finches as well, but as those are seen frequently all over my area I focused on a couple of birds that I do not see quite as often, like this Western Scrub Jay. The Western Scrub Jay is a common resident of the foothills, and being a corvid is always entertaining to interact with. This individual came so close and watched me for so long that I eventually broke down and scattered a couple of peanuts from my trail mix along the railing. If it was working for peanuts it sure did earn them.


Another bird that always catches my eye is the Spotted Towhee. The contrasting colors and vivid red eye make it a fun find, no matter how many times I see them.


Back once more to the Scrub Jay. The intelligence of some of the corvid species has been well documented, and I always get the feeling that I am not the only one being entertained when they are around. Sure, they have base motives like an easy snack, but they do seem content to pause and observe the actions of the others around them - much as we humans must seem to them.


No pics from my ski trip to the high country on Sunday. I only saw two species, Raven and Mountain Chickadee and kept the camera warm in the backpack while I tried to make up for a season of far too few runs. I was disappointed to learn that someone on CObirds had spotted a pair of White-tailed Ptarmigan at a pull-off on the same pass I rode over that day. Oh-well, the mountains don't close in the summer, but the snow will be gone soon, so I'll ski while the skiing is still good!

1 comment:

  1. Great photos of the Jays! Hope you get to photograph the Ptarmigans next summer!

    ReplyDelete