Friday, October 9, 2009

Suburban D.C. Sligo Creek Parkway, Maryland


While in the D.C. area our home base was my friend's home in Montgomery County, Maryland. It was a fun area and reminded me a good deal of my Grandparents' neighborhood in Minneapolis. A real treat for me was that just down the hill was a wild park area preserved along a creek. Several mornings I was able to beat the sun up and watch the light progress down from the treetops. Often as I made my way down the steep drive to the park I would be accompanied by a pair of Northern Cardinals. Of course it was far too dark to get their pictures, but the fellow above on a power line at a road crossing had better lighting and will serve to remind me of the other early risers.


Because the light was best up high I made use of a few clear views to the tops of some dead snags and watched whatever was warming in the early morning rays. The Red-bellied's were again prominent, but they get to wait. Instead here was a White-Breasted Nuthatch showing what it means to be truly unaffected by vertigo.


These shots were all easily 40 feet up, and yet this individual preferred to spend most of the time looking straight down, rather than even poking at the bark along the way.



A sure fire way to jump start the day!


As the light worked its way lower I was able to get a good look at a pair of Catbirds as well.


As the time grew near for more activities in the area I would return to the house and wait on the deck for others to rise and come out. From there I had a great time watching the House Sparrows, Carolina Chickadees, Blue Jays and Robins in the trees. I even added this first timer to the list just by sitting and watching.


The Tufted Titmouse a bird who was much nicer to observe in person than my poor photographs relate. It is a cool mix of whites, greys, and black - with just a splash of rust color under the wings. A very pleasant surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment