Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Enjoying an Eastern Favorite


While out east last week I really enjoyed getting multiple looks at one of my new favorite bird species, the Red-bellied Woodpecker. The fellow above, (note the red on the head that runs above the eye instead of just on the back of the head), was peaking at me from behind some nice fall color.

I first saw this species while visiting my family last winter. From my research at the time I learned that its range has been expanding north and west, so it may be that it has become more common in the Twin Cities area of Minnesota since I left years ago - or it may just be that I hadn't noticied them. (Female above - only the back of the head is red).


I was so glad when I first saw a group of six in the Pennsylvania woods, that I now know this species and recognized it as an unexpected favorite on my second sighting. To see so many, and be able to watch them leisurly picking their way through the trees was a real highlight. The pictures of the female above and below were from my last early morning visit to Sligo Creek.


Getting to share those first golden rays of sunlight with a colorful bird starting its day were really enjoyable.


If you are lucky enough to be in a common location for these colorful birds enjoy the sight.

1 comment:

  1. That's a beautiful bird! Wish we had them around here!

    ReplyDelete