Thursday, January 15, 2009

Actual Red-tail (I think)


What a difference a few hours make. The fog burned off, and the temps are about 30 degrees warmer than this morning. I headed over to a nub of Broomfield County that extends north of Flatirons Mall towards highway 36. I had wanted to check it out for a while, ever since I spotted a pair of golden eagles in one of the trees on the way into work.

It is a spot that I believe will produce some good birding results over time. There is a stretch of undeveloped land that the mall developers must have had to throw some cash at while they were bidding.

Now by parking at the remote end of the parking lot I find myself looking down over a terraced layout of habitats. First there is a retention pond with some landscaped trees and shrubs. Next, a footbridge crossing the "enhanced" section of creek. It features some extra rock work and staged drops which I believe will attract some attention over time. Finally, there is a last section of undeveloped creek bed cut deep and covered by cottonwoods. The only drawback to the site is that it is close to the highway, and therefore a bit noisy to locate birds by sound. On the other hand, it doesn't look like many people head down that way too often. So I guess I will see how that site pans out. At least it is close and has potential.
2009 Count: 46
Lifetime: 84

No comments:

Post a Comment