Thursday, July 23, 2009

Barr Lake State Park

On my quick visit to Barr Lake State Park on Sunday I was treated to a few moments of great light, and a whole lot of looks at Western Kingbirds.


There was a good sized group around the Visitor Center, who seemed more concerned with a nearing storm than my presence in the area. Even the two young ones didn't seem concerned. There was a Cowbird in the area that also appeared young, and seemed suspiciously like one who was just realizing that there were some major differences in the members of the brood.


I wonder if there is an awkward moment when every Brown-headed Cowbird slinks away from the nest and brood, much like Carl Spackler in Caddyshack after the priest was just struck by lightening. I didn't stick around to find out, because in addition to lots of Western Kingbirds there were lots of mosquitoes and they were some kind of mutants that were completely unfazed by my spray. So I was off to the car and have been busy scratching ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment