Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Wow - What a Day!

Some days are so nice you feel like shaking off winter.







It really was a great day yesterday. If this is the March lamb impression for arrival I hate to see what the lion is going to look like on the way out..... It really feels like May, which is scary for Colorado. As March is typically the snowiest month, we are either going to be in for a long dry summer, or we are going to get used to this 70 degree business just in time for a 3 foot blizzard. I think the best plan is just to enjoy it while it lasts.







I took full advantage, I went on walks at four different locations on Monday. During my lunch I visited a great location in Louisville that is just a great little open mesa area with some wooded sections on the path I use to get there. It was great watching the Red-tails soaring at midday. I even met a woman out taking her Macaw for a walk. She excitedly told me about the soaring hawks up ahead as I wondered if that Macaw was enjoying the outing as much as she was. Would they make a hawk snack? Very cool sight though.







In the afternoon I stopped at Frank Varra park where I saw three Red-tails circling in the distance, and not much else. So I abandoned it quickly and headed on to two of the best Broomfield Reservoirs, Brunner and Plaster. Brunner featured the Robin above, some Common Mergansers and Scaup on the lake itself and of course the usual supply of Ringed-bills.

On the way out I caught this House Finch in the sun against a dreary looking background. Honestly the Gull and Finch positioned themselves to make the sky look awful, but the sun was shinning and really caught the finch's color.






Off to Plaster where the Red-winged Blackbirds and House Finches were using the mild weather to get down to the business of staking out territory and attracting mates. It was great accompaniment to the beautiful weather. I did have a mystery along the way, and one that I have not convinced myself of completely. Based on the light dark coloring and small overall size of the bird below I am leaning to a Dark-eyed Junco with a bad hair day, but I could be very wrong.



If I am showing my ignorance and have missed something blatant please feel free to let me know by email or in the comments.
I did also enjoy the Song Sparrows, some of whom were actively singing.


For those still enduring real winter, wish you were here!

No comments:

Post a Comment