Friday, May 20, 2011

Gone West


The first day of the CFO convention was great, if a bit more wet than anyone would have hoped. Our day started with a good sized group, getting good looks at the Black-throated Sparrow (above) and Lark Sparrow (below).


By then the rain started to get serious, and our group thinned due to muddy roads. A somewhat smaller group pressed on, and got good looks at the Burrowing Owl, and Sandhill Crane below.


Unfortunately the rain that kept us company all morning also caused a fogging issue with my camera, and I missed getting shots of my lifer Long-eared Owls on their nest.


The group contracted again, but six of us pressed on through the heaviest rain, getting to unsuccessfully scan a flock of close to 200 White-faced Ibis for any stray Glossies, (still a great sight). Eventually the weather began to break, just as we were guided to a nice hotspot for Sage Sparrows, (below) and Sage Thrashers (picture not posted - see fogging issue above). Both were great looks at life birds for me.


Life birds aren't the only highlights though, many birds were willing to give us close looks, like this Brewer's Sparrow.


Many thanks to my carpoolers, Nick and Matt, and our awesome west slope guide Kim who braved the weather with us and showed us some great sites.

Hopefully the weather is a bit more cooperative and the birding continues at the same great pace.

2011 Count: 184
Lifetime: 273

2 comments:

  1. Great shots! I really love the owl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me take you into my slimming practice. Nobody is sure of what that seems like except he must go through this on his own. So I tasted several dieting tablets. Then I may mention that nothing aided me how the previous ones did. You possibly can watch more concerning this right here our website.

    ReplyDelete