Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Candidates

Along with the two previous sets these are the pictures I am bringing along to potentially hand in for class tonight.

Selective Focus

Depth of Field

Depth of Field


Selective Focus


Depth of Field


Selective Focus



All these pictures were taken at lunch yesterday on one of the area mesa tops. The first two sets were with my telephoto pushed back to its 100mm setting (160mm 35mm equiv). The last set of the rock were at 400mm (640mm)
Biggest lesson learned: How the exposure compensation is controlled on my camera. I almost lost my mind this weekend. I found out that with the shutter release halfway depressed, and the switch set to the squiggly line you can set the exposure compensation value. However, when that hasn't been covered in class and you don't realize that you have actually done it; you begin to wonder if you will ever be able to manually expose a photograph. I just didn't get what I was doing wrong, and the frustration was really getting to me. I wasted a morning shoot on Sunday because the "golden light" couldn't stand a chance against my -2 ev value. Sadly, my 30D doesn't have the best LCD for studying when in the field, so other than knowing that my histograms were showing up way to the side I couldn't really make adjustments. Finally as I wrote up my details today I found the -2 ev value documented and did some extra reading to correct my issue. I didn't get back out today, but am much more confident moving forward. That is exactly the kind of thing I needed to take the class for, and I am glad that I was able to diagnose and resolve an issue, even if it took me the whole week to do so. Some bird posts to come, but for now I am off to class.

No comments:

Post a Comment